Peoples' Aman Committee
The Peoples' Aman Committee (Urdu: پیپلز امن کمیٹی) was a militant group tied to the Pakistan People's Party and based in Karachi, Pakistan. The PAC was founded by the infamous Karachi gangster Rehman Dakait in 2008 and is accused of being involved in organized crime and gang wars. After Rehman's death in 2009, leadership of the group was taken over by Uzair Baloch.
|Founded by||Rehman Dakait|
|Founding location||Lyari, Karachi, Pakistan|
|Ethnicity||Mostly Balochis & Niazi|
|Membership||More than one thousand|
|Criminal activities||Drug trafficking, Extortion|
|Rivals||Muttahida Qaumi Movement MQM|
The organization initially only served Lyari, but soon offices were set up in other Baloch populated neighbourhoods of Karachi, such as Dalmiya (Shantinagar), Malir, Gadap, Old Golimar, Mawach Goth, and even in some nearby town and villages in Sindh and Balochistan.
The PAC has a bitter rivalry with the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) in the city of Karachi. In March 2011, the PAC agreed to disband after its parent organization the Pakistan Peoples Party was pressured by its then allies, the MQM. Despite being officially defunct, the organization continues to function de facto on the ground.
On October 11, 2011 the PAC was banned under Clause (11/B) of Anti-terrorism Act 1997.
The Sindh Home Ministry, after issuing its notification also directed the law enforcement agencies to monitor PAC activities.
The home ministry notification outlaws establishment of PAC offices and restricts its activities anywhere in the province.
- "Beyond the Grave". Newsline. 28 February 2010.
- "The war may be over, but the Lyari battlefield has just opened up". The Express Tribune. 24 April 2011.
- "Uzair Baloch 'crowned' as new 'don' in Lyari". Daily Times (Pakistan). 13 August 2009.
- "People's Aman Committee is PPP's wing: Mirza". SAMAA TV. 6 March 2011. Archived from the original on 20 March 2012.
- "Mirza says People's Aman Committee social organisation". The News International. 11 March 2011.
- "I want to contest election from Lyari: Uzair Baloch". Daily Times (Pakistan). 14 December 2010.
- "MQM holds ANP, Peoples Aman Committee responsible for killings". ARY News. 17 October 2010.
- "Lyari group: Peoples Amn Committee to shut offices". The Express Tribune. 17 March 2011.
- "Defunct Peoples Amn Committee : Govt given three days to bring peace to Lyari". The Express Tribune. 10 May 2011.
- Peoples Aman Committee Banned. Thenews.com.pk. October 11, 2011. Retrieved on 2012-05-04.
- Ban on Peoples Aman Committee Notified. Samaa.tv (2011-10-11). Retrieved on 2012-05-04.